January 31, 2007

As a Christian, I firstly would like to apologize for the hate-mail written by a supposed fellow Christian. I understand that it is people like that which have turned a lot of believes into atheists or agnostics, and for that I am truly sorry. However I would like to argue with "Fevered Dream"'s (yes, I understand the joke) reply.

In this, which is highly cynical but probably justified, the writer claims his generlization of religious people as stupid is justified because he has tried to explain it later. I have read the 'justifications' myself, and I can see even you, a fellow atheist, strongly deny his arguments as stupid themselves! This outright and intended insult needs to be refuted from a religious perspective as well.

I will add my commentary in the next week or so. I hope you will affix my previous comments to the hatemail section, as I believe more rational Christians deserve to see my arguments.

There is no reason for you to apologize. It's the people who write the hate mail who should be apologizing. I don't think that those people represent all Christians any more than I represent all atheists.

I certainly look forward to your discussion and will be happy to post it here. However, I should make clear that I never said the arguments you mention were "stupid," even though I disagree with them. I try very hard not to use words like that, and in general I'd find it hard to think someone was stupid when they were trying to work out whether an argument makes sense or not.

By the way, I don't have a "hate mail" section. All correspondence that I post goes in the same area, whether it agrees with me, disagrees with me, or just plain makes no sense at all.