February 02, 2007

this site has no foundation. it is for people who want to have an excuse for sinning. so people can justify doing wrong by sayin there is no god. you think a conscience was made by mistake? if so youre probably hooked on lust, money or drugs(alcohol and cigarettes count). you decide.

Well, I agree that the "you are now an atheist" part of the site has no foundation, in that it's a joke. On the other hand, my atheism has a very strong philosophical foundation, which I'd be happy to discuss with you.

Regarding the rest of your message, let's take it point by point.

"it is for people who want to have an excuse for sinning": Well, you and I are going to disagree about what is a "sin" so, we'll have to pass on this statement for the time being.

"so people can justify doing wrong by sayin there is no god.": I don't think people should do wrong, and I don't think people who do wrong (by acting against their stated philosophy, for example) should try and find ways to justify or "weasel out" of it.

"you think a conscience was made by mistake?": I think it evolved and/or is learned.

"if so youre probably hooked on lust": I've been happily, monogamously married for fifteen years and didn't "fool around" before I was married. (I'm assuming here that you don't think one can be "hooked on lust" within a monogamous marriage.)

"money": I can't be hooked on something I don't have, can I?

"or drugs": I don't do recreational drugs, I've never done recreational drugs, I've never even tried them.

"(alcohol": I don't drink. I tried it once in college and didn't enjoy it.

"and cigarettes count)": I don't smoke and have never tried it.

"you decide.": I obviously already have.

By the way, in my experience the set of people who are immoral has a pretty significant overlap with the set of people who are religious. Being religious or not does not make one immoral or not -- it's how you act on your moral/religious beliefs (or lack there of) that matters.

Note to my readers: It saddens me that notes like this are almost never accompanied by a working e-mail address. I would love to hear what this person thinks of my response.