February 02, 2007

I agree with your 5 points completely. I learned #5 from Mr. Spock on Star Trek.

The only reason I have a site is because I wanted people to think for themselves. Independent of popular belief or error. Then stand responsible for their choices.

I had an unpleasant run-in with another atheist site today that doesn't have your heart for truth or justice and it spawned my response on part four of my series about words.

Plus, I got a terror response from an acquaintance who clicked on your link on my site about an hour ago. If you enjoy a good chuckle at the gullibility of people, I'll send it to you.

Are you male or female? Do you have a first name that you'll disclose? And what country are you in?

On topic, there is a free program on the net called Davar. If you are interested it is a freeware program with Hebrew lexicon and dictionary: http://www.faithofgod.net/davar/davar.htm

And last, do you find that people actually fear talking about politics and religion or is it avoidance for some other reason?

Answering your questions:

1) I don't like to talk about my gender. I find that gender leads to unnecessary assumptions on the part of some people.

2) I don't talk about my name for the same sort of reason -- Googling me would turn up all sorts of stuff that might color people's thinking about my responses.

3) I live in the U.S. (California, to be exact). Yes, talking about my country is going to cause bias, too, but I think it's unavoidable because my writing and references are pretty obviously American.

4) I don't think people fear talking about religion and politics per se. Instead, I think that they associate these topics with arguments (as opposed to discussions) because many people don't know how to have a discussion. Instead, they only know how to try and "win" an argument, and this can get ugly fast.

Oh, and I'd love to see the "terror" e-mail if you happen to still have it!