February 01, 2007

I always said in response to "There are no atheists in foxholes" that- "You're damn right there aren't- we only get one life to live, I hope that the majority of us atheists aren't stupid enough to waste it in a pointless war!"

I also wanted to say how great it was to hear of a, well, a "weak" atheist making valid points for the whole of atheism. I've wavered back and forth between calling myself an agnostic or an atheist since the term itself, "athiesm," almost denotes a militant effort to not believe in any god.

One year in high school, I had a sweet teacher for two years in a row, unfortunatly I was the only one in that class to show her any respect (she was a bit too sweet). I don't know how it came about- but I had told her I was an atheist. That illicited a gasp and a silent prayer from her. She begged me to tell her that I was agnostic instead, she wanted me to at least be open to the possibility of a Christian god (which I am, but like you say, the evidence so far is uncompelling). I did to appease her, and I think that's what got me started on what I should refer to myself in front of other people (it seems to come up a lot, I'm far too interested in other religions for someone whos very being can seemingly be a threat to another belief system). I guess if nothing else, your site has made me feel better about giving myself the status of atheist. I don't know absolutely that there is no god, and really, those who are absolutely certain of his or her presence amaze me. How can you be so convinced that there is a god? What evidence was there, am I missing something?